Structure 1518, masonry surface structure
About this Structure
Block 1500, west-central portion of site, east of plaza.
In the southeast corner of the D-shaped building, east of Structure 1510.
Few data on which to base an interpretation of use, although the location of this room in a D-shaped, bi-wall structure might indicate special use. No artifacts or features were found on the portion of the floor exposed, and no features were exposed in the portions of walls exposed. There was apparently no access between this room and the room adjacent to the west (Structure 1510) or between this room and the structure or structures adjacent to the north (Structures 1526/1507). It is possible that there was access to this room from outside the architectural block through one or more doorways in the east wall or in the west half of the south wall (these were not exposed). There is thus no indication of how access was gained into this room. It is inferred that access was through a roof hatchway.
The presence on the last surface of only a few sherds suggests that abandonment of this room was leisurely. The absence of refuse in the room fill suggests that room abandonment occurred when the architectural block was abandoned.
Roofing debris was deposited on the last use surface, then wall collapse debris was deposited. Additional sediment was deposited naturally.
No excavation details recorded for this study unit.