Structure 1513, masonry surface structure
About this Structure
Block 1500, west-central portion of site, east of plaza.
North wall of the D-shaped building, between Structure 1504 to the east and an unexcavated and unnumbered structure to the west-southwest.
Few data on which to base an interpretation of use, although the location of this room in a D-shaped, bi-wall structure might indicate special use. No artifacts or features were found on the portion of the floor exposed. Doorways were exposed in the east and west walls of this room, indicating that, originally, there was mutual access between this room and the unnumbered, unexcavated room to the southwest, and with Structure 1504 to the east. At some point or points during the occupation of the room, these doorways were blocked, probably indicating a change in room use. Thereafter, access was probably through a roof hatchway. A "broken-up" firepit in a stratum of roof fall appears to have been a collapsed hearth from either the roof of this room, or less likely, from the floor of a possible second-story room above Structure 1513 (there is little other evidence of a second story here).
The absence of artifacts on the portion of the floor exposed suggests that abandonment of this room was leisurely. The presence of a small amount of secondary refuse on the floor indicates that this abandonment occurred while occupation of the architectural block continued.
A small amount of secondary refuse was deposited on the floor. The roof beams rotted and the roof collapsed, along with some wall materials. Additional portions of the upper walls collapsed, and additional sediment was deposited naturally.
No excavation details recorded for this study unit.