Structure 1503, masonry surface structure
About this Structure
Block 1500, west-central portion of site, east of plaza.
Southwest corner of the D-shaped building, north of the unexcavated portion of Structure 1508.
Few data on which to base an interpretation of use, although the location of this room in a D-shaped, bi-wall structure might indicate special use. No artifacts were found on the floor. The only feature in the excavated portion of the room is a doorway in the south wall; thus, before it was intentionally plugged with masonry, this feature allowed mutual access between Structure 1503 and Structure 1508 adjacent to the south. The blocking of this doorway could indicate a change in the use of the room(s).
The lack of artifacts on the floor suggests that abandonment was leisurely. The absence of refuse in the structure fill suggests that this structure was abandoned as part of the abandonment of the architectural block.
The roof (which was not burned) collapsed, along with the upper portions of the walls. Additional sediment was also deposited naturally. In the mid-1980s, spoil dirt from the construction of a path for site visitors was deposited in the room depression.
No excavation details recorded for this study unit.