Structure 1215, masonry surface structure
About this Structure
Block 1200, southeast quadrant of site, on cliff edge.
At north end of excavated portion of Block 1200, between the tower (Structure 1203) to the north and the kiva (Structure 1206) and a room (Structure 1209) to the south. Structure 1215 is the original large room that was later divided into two smaller rooms--Structures 1204 and 1212--by the addition of a wall oriented northwest-southeast. Structure 1204 is the space northeast of the wall; Structure 1212 is the space to the southwest. Structure 1215 is located below both rooms.
Because this structure was remodeled into two smaller structures (Structures 1204 and 1212), there are almost no data on which to base an interpretation of use. The floor of this original structure was prepared and the room was very large, which would be consistent with use as a habitation. However, no floor features were defined, and key domestic activities require the presence of a hearth. The preserved portions of the walls do not contain a doorway, suggesting that access was through a roof hatchway. Because the few data regarding use are insufficient and conflicting, no interpretive type is assigned to this structure.
This structure was effectively abandoned when a masonry wall was constructed across the approximate center of the room, creating two new rooms (Structures 1204 and 1212).
The two rooms constructed inside this structure (Structures 1204 and 1212) were used for an unknown length of time, they were partly dismantled and used for the deposition of refuse. The upper portions of the walls collapsed during this time. After this area of the village was abandoned, the upper walls continued to collapse, and additional sediment was deposited naturally.
No excavation details recorded for this study unit.