Structure 1214, masonry surface structure
About this Structure
In the great tower complex.
Westernmost, lower-story biwall room in the great tower bi-wall structure.
This is the lower-story room in a ring of two-story rooms that encircles an oversized, above-ground kiva (Structure 1201). The prepared floor, roof collapse material, and floor artifacts all indicate that this bi-wall room (and probably the others in this ring of structures) was used as a room, and was not merely filled with rubble as support for the structure within the encircling ring of rooms (Structure 1201). How this bi-wall room was used is not clear. Although no hearth was defined within our test trench, a small area of charred wall was noted at the base of the east wall, just inside the test trench. This charring suggests the presence of a floor-associated hearth just outside the trench to the north. If present, it would indicate the need for heat or light, or that food preparation (or any combination of these three) occurred in this room. The artifacts on the room floor appear to be incidental refuse left at abandonment and include several sherds, a few lithic flakes, and one hammerstone. Two sections of deer antler (one of which was a tool) were found above the floor, and might have been stored in the roof beams. The presence of a doorway in the south wall of the bi-wall room at the other end of this test trench (Structure 1213) suggests that at least some of these lower-story bi-wall rooms were mutually accessible. Also, the presence of a possible tunnel or passageway in the northwest wall of Structure 1203 (kiva) could indicate mutual access between the lower-story bi-wall rooms and a kiva outside the great tower structure. It is assumed that Structure 1214 and the second-story room above it (Structure 1222) were connected by a hatchway in the floor of Structure 1222. The vertical location of the roof of this structure (which was also the floor of Structure 1222) could not be determined, as no beam sockets were present in the portions of walls exposed in our test trench. Structure 1214 has been designated as "public architecture" because it is likely that this bi-wall structure and the oversized kiva within it were constructed and used by more than one residential group.
The unburned roof collapse material and the sparse number of artifacts left on the floor suggest that this structure was abandoned in a leisurely manner.
This fill in this structure is intact, and contains two separate strata of unburned, collapsed roofing material, indicating that the roof of this structure, as well as the roof of the second story room above it (Structure 1222) collapsed naturally after the structures (and probably the village as a whole) were abandoned.