Structure 1213, masonry surface structure
About this Structure
In the great tower complex.
Easternmost, lower-story biwall room in the great tower bi-wall structure.
This is the lower-story room in a ring of two-story rooms that encircles an oversized, above-ground kiva (Structure 1201). The exposed sections of east and west walls are too tall for a one-story building. Unlike for Structure 1214, no room number was assigned for a second-story room above Structure 1213 because corroborating data in the form of two layers of collapsed roofing material and sooted building blocks were absent in this structure (fill was disturbed during prior excavation). Also, no clear beam sockets were present in the portion of the room exposed by our test trench. Feature 3 is called a niche instead of a beam socket because it is only 94 cm above the floor. If the structure were only used for storage, it could have had a roof this low, but the presence of the hearth makes such a scenario unlikely. The prepared floor, the doorway in the south wall, and the firepit in the southwest corner of the room all indicate that these structures were used as rooms, and were not merely filled with rubble as support for the structure within. The firepit indicates the need for heat or light, or that food was prepared in this room (or any combination of these three). The doorway indicates that at least some of these lower-story biwall rooms were mutally accessible. That one or more of the lower-story rooms might also have been accessible from outside the bi-wall structure is suggested by a possible tunnel or passageway through the north wall of Structure 1203 (kiva). That passageway would have provided access into the lower-story bi-wall room adjacent to Structure 1213 to the south. Structure 1213 has been designated as "public architecture" because it is likely that more than one residential group constructed and used this and the other bi-wall rooms and the oversized kiva within it.
Prior excavation destroyed evidence of abandonment events.
Structure was excavated and backfilled during a Western State College field school in 1931.