Structure 1504, subterranean kiva
About this Structure
Northeastern portion of site.
West-central portion of Block 1500; below Backhoe Trench 1502.
Structure 1504 is similar to other pit structures occupied during the Pueblo III period and was probably used in a combination of domestic and ritual activities. The presence of multiple jar and bowl sherds on the floor surface, as well as a two-hand mano and an indeterminate ground stone, indicates a domestic use of the structure. The presence of a hearth (Features 1 and 2) also indicates a domestic use of the structure and would have been used for light, heat, and food preparation.
The primary beams were removed from the roof and probably recycled. The remainder of the roof collapsed on to the structure floor. Natural sediments accumulated above the roof sediments. Based on pottery in contact with the floor surface (multiple Mesa Verde Black-on-white sherds), it appears that Structure 1504 was abandoned during the Pueblo III period.
Natural sediments accumulated above the roof sediments. The upper deposits of natural fill was disturbed by plowing.