Structure 1408, subterranean kiva
About this Structure
Northeastern portion of site.
North-central portion of Block 1400; below Backhoe Trench 1406.
Structure 1408 is similar to other pit structures occupied during the Pueblo III period and was probably used in a combination of domestic and ritual activities. The presence of multiple jar and bowl sherds on the structure floor, as well as one unfired clay coil (for pottery manufacturing) and a portion of an unfired pinch pot, suggests a domestic use of the structure. The presence of two peckingstones on the bench surface also indicates that the structure was used to store and work with tools. The presence of a hearth (Feature 1) also indicates a domestic use of the structure and would have been used for light, heat, and food preparation.
Vessels and tools were purposefully left in the structure prior to intentionally burning the roof. Roof sediments collapsed directly on to the structure floor. Based on tree-ring dates and pottery data, Structure 1408 was abandoned in the late Pueblo III period. This was probably one of the last structures occupied at the site immediately prior to regional abandonment.
Natural sediments accumulated above the burned roof. Structure 1411, a probable shrine, was constructed on the natural sediments.