Structure 1308, earth-walled pit structure
About this Structure
East-central portion of site.
East-central portion of Block 1300; exposed in Backhoe Trench 1306 and 2.3-x-2-m unit 556N 638E (EU 468).
Structure 1308 is similar to other pit structures occupied during the middle Pueblo II period and was probably used in a combination of domestic and ritual activities. The presence of multiple jar and bowl sherds (Mancos Black-on-white and McElmo Black-on-white), a biface, two indeterminate ground stones, a projectile point, and an other ceramic artifact indicates a domestic use of the structure. The presence of a hearth (which was remodeled twice after the original construction; Features 2-4) also indicates a domestic use of Structure 1308 and would have been used for light, heat, and food preparation.
Structure 1308 was abandoned in the late Pueblo II period. Mancos Black-on-white and McElmo Black-on-white pottery was in contact with the structure floor. After the roof collapsed on to the floor, secondary refuse (Nonstructure 1320) was deposited into the depression left by Structure 1308. Nonstructure 1320 deposits date to the late Pueblo II period. Some of the roof beams were removed prior to abandonment.
Secondary refuse (Nonstructure 1320) was deposited in the depression left by Structure 1308 after the roof collapsed on to the floor. Natural sediments accumulated above Nonstructure 1320 deposits. The upper fill was disturbed by plowing.